Labels

Friday 11 February 2011

Xavi Interview

It's here.

I'm posting it because Xavi makes exactly the points I have made recently (up to yesterday). It's almost like I read this interview before deciding what to write at times.

On space: "Think quickly, look for spaces. That's what I do: look for spaces. All day. I'm always looking. All day, all day.. Space, space, space. It's like being on the PlayStation.. I see the space and pass. That's what I do"

On developing youngsters: "Some youth academies worry about winning, we worry about education. You see a kid who lifts his head up, who plays the pass first time, pum, and you think, 'Yep, he'll do.' Bring him in, coach him. Our model was imposed by [Johan] Cruyff; it's an Ajax model. It's all about rondos [piggy in the middle]. Rondo, rondo, rondo. Every. Single. Day. It's the best exercise there is. You learn responsibility and not to lose the ball. If you lose the ball, you go in the middle. Pum-pum-pum-pum, always one touch."

On developing more youngsters:Education is the key. Players have had 10 or 12 years here. When you arrive at Barça the first thing they teach you is: think. Think, think, think. Quickly. [Xavi starts doing the actions, looking around himself.] Lift your head up, move, see, think. Look before you get the ball. If you're getting this pass, look to see if that guy is free. Pum. First time.

On playing a passing game: "My football is passing but, wow, if I have Dani, Iniesta, Pedro, [David] Villa … there are so many options"

On Paul Scholes: Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Voila.

1 comment:

  1. great interview
    and nothing about formation, all about the style and education.

    ReplyDelete